Upgrading problem – slackware 12.1 to slackware 12.2

The problem will persist if we don’t do what the UPGRADE.TXT steps said. Especially the setting. I didn’t do this because I couldn’t run the script. I don’t know why just something wrong when trying to run it. So When rebooting there’s some problem occure.

1. I can’t login to my new slackware.
Slackware always asked for ctrl -D command or entering root password. And then asking for running e2fsck against /dev/hda1 which is my slackware partition.
But when I ran fsck.ext3 /dev/hda1 nothing happened. Just notification only.
After take a look closer to what happened in boot, I found out the something missing in /sbin/udevtrigger file. It is said missing. Hmh….after googling I remembered that the rc.M file still the old one. I checked the rc.M script and yes the script still call for /sbin/udevtrigger. I checked into rc.M.new the script already change the udevtrigger to udevadm. So slackware 12.2 don’t use udevtrigger anymore but udevadm. I replace the rc.M with rc.M.new and the slackware run well.

2. After that I can log into slackware, it still asked for fsck so I ran fsck again. This time working. But slackware found lots of missing links and corrupted file.
But I let the system running as it used to be.

#fsck.ext3 -y /dev/hda1

Then rebooted again, this time everything went error. So I rebooted through cd installation and doing some chroot. And I found out that the /etc/ is missing. Wow this must be affected by fsck.ext3. Well no other way, I must install slackware 12.2 again. I do haf clean install.
I installed from cd but not format the partition just replace the old packages with new one. I ran the installation step just like usuall.

3. When after all finished, I tried to enter the kde with startx command. But it crashed and a messege appeared. It is said that error in lnusertemp and slackware got back to its console.
After googling the problem is in the partition that too full. I checked with df -h and yes my partition of hda1 is too full. I deleted and moved some files and try kde again. And now kde worked fine.

4. Another thing I notice, just in case. Take a look at /etc/fstab. The hda1 as root partition now written as /dev/root not /dev/hda1 that it usual. But this is not affect the system anyway.

5. If you have samba before, try to reconfigure it. Especially the samba password. Because samba password didn’t save in /etc/shadow and /etc/passwd file.

And then I have my slackware.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.